Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Graduation Testimony

I know I haven't posted anything in a few months. I wanted to write a lot of things, but this semester I was very busy. I decided to post my graduation testimony, which most of you heard already. However, I had started this blog when I first came to the US as a college student and want to share this important moment of finishing my college career. The testimony was limited to one page, so I could not write about all the things that happened in the last five and a half years. You can just read through my blog if you want to know more about the last five and a half years of my life. Anyway, here is my testimony.

Proverbs 3:5-6 ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.’

College has been a long and sometimes difficult journey. I started out at Montgomery College in January 2011. I would have never guessed that it would take me five and a half years to graduate. I chose Proverbs 3:5-6 as my key verse for this testimony because it helped me to get through some of the hardest times in the last few years. As many of you know, I struggled a lot academically in high school, so I was not sure how I was going to do in college, especially since everything was in English. However, God was always with me and allowed me to get a close to perfect GPA in my first semester in college, which boosted my confidence. God also provided financially for me. I was able to get Federal Work-Study aid and a scholarship at MC.
In the spring of 2012, I applied to the University of Maryland as a transfer student and got accepted. I did not realize at first that I was supposed to pay out of state tuition, which was more than $28,000 at that time. I did not know what to do and became anxious. I was wondering if this was God’s plan for me. I would have not been able to pay that much money. I soon learned that there was a petition process to get in state tuition. Nevertheless, when I visited the registrar’s office, the people were very discouraging, saying that I would not be able to be approved. I decided to go ahead with the process anyway because I did not want to give up. I can say that I was able to do this only by God’s grace and mercy. It was also at that time that I realized that I simply needed to put my trust in God and not in people because God can make a way, where there is no way in our eyes. It took me about two or three months to get everything together. When I submitted it, the petition was more than a hundred pages long. However, it was rejected. I was told that I needed to submit some more documents and make an appointment with the registrar’s office for an interview. To make this long story short, after the interview, which was one week before classes started, my petition was approved, and I received in state status! Even beyond this victory, God provided for my financial needs throughout my time at UMD. Not only did I get in state tuition status, but I also got the President’s Transfer Scholarship, a Pell Grant, and other grants and loans that covered tuition, fees, and books. This took a great burden off my shoulders and also my parents, who still provided for my other financial needs.
Once I started at UMD, my classes were going well. Yet, I hit another roadblock in the fall of 2014, when I failed my internship and had to leave the Early Childhood Education program. In the weeks and months leading up to that point I had felt overwhelmed, exhausted, and stressed from taking six classes, working, writing lesson plans, doing homework, and at the same time going to my internship two full days a week. By the end of that semester, I was drained and knew I had failed. During the final meeting with the internship coordinator and program director, I realized that there wasn’t anything I could do to make them change their mind and accepted that I would be better off going a different route. It was hard to accept this at first and involved many tears on my way home. I was confused because I always thought that this was the path that God had marked out for me. However, through this experience He showed me that He had an even better plan for me. During winter break, I switched my major to Family Science, where I had to complete three additional semesters of course work. I am truly thankful that God has lead me this way because I learned a lot in the last three semesters that is relevant to where I want to go in the future. I enjoyed studying and learning again and did not feel overwhelmed and stressed anymore. Last semester, I had to do another internship, which passed without any difficulties. I thank God that He has lead me through my college years, without His guidance and wisdom I could not have done this. If there is one major thing I learned during this time it is that when I trust in God anything is possible.
I thank my parents, who have been so supportive, loving, prayerful, and provided for my financial needs. I thank my family, the sisters in and outside the prayer house, my fellowship, and Cologne UBF for their emotional support and prayers for me every day. Lastly, I thank all of you for praying for me and supporting me in many different ways. There are many individuals I would have liked to mention, but I don’t have enough time and space to do so.
Please continue to pray for me. I am in the process of applying for jobs and hope to start working in August.


One word: Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment